Advertisement

salted plums!!

topic posted Wed, August 17, 2005 - 8:35 PM by  John
Share/Save/Bookmark
Oh MAN! I think I've discovered the most amazing thing in the world - Salted dried plums! What a rich, sweet and complex flavour this creation is. I found a shop that sells every possible variety of preserved plums, but the dried/salted ones are the best. I spoke to the shop keeper who told me it's wonderful to stew them in a bit of water for a half hour and serve over cold white rice or on a simple white cake. Just amazing. I'll admit they're pretty LOADED with natural sugars, but as an occasional treat, not so bad I guess. If anybody has some great stories to tell about these wonderful fruits SHARE!
posted by:
John
Boston
Advertisement
  • Re: salted plums!!

Fri, August 19, 2005 - 2:03 AM
    Have you ever had the fresh pickled plums. Mmmm flavored with a bit of Beefsteak plant. VERRRRRRRYYYY tasty. It's a summer treat. Picture humidity and placing this salty juicy slightly sour fruit in your mouth. Ume is the word in Japanese. The salted ones are tasty and there is the vietnamese salted plum drink if you haven't had it. It's a salted plum in bubbly water with maybe a bit of sugar. If you live in chilly "bagdad by the bay" (new to me nickname now subject to overuse) it's maybe not as refreshing as when you live somewhere HOT HOT HOT. don't forget umeshoe.

Fri, August 19, 2005 - 6:39 AM
      Hi new here. I went to an holistic cooking school and they used a lot of umeboshi plum for medicinal purposes. It is yummy and healthy.
      • Unsu...

Re: salted plums!!

Fri, August 19, 2005 - 10:38 AM
        When I was growing up I was (still am) completely addicted to those and as a treat my father would buy me a bag which I would then proceed to eat. I used to eat the salty ones and now like the salty sweet ones. And the latinos eat the salty ones too.

Fri, August 19, 2005 - 4:35 PM
          I defintely want to try the fresh pickled ones, those I've not yet had... I agree that they are addictive treats indeed - like much asian food, my senses are still (happily) adjusting to the complexity of flavours - salt and sweet is my 'thang' at the moment...
          • Unsu...

Fri, September 2, 2005 - 12:10 PM
            i love the pickled ones. just eating them with a perfect bowl of rice! i think i even have a photos of that. will put in gallery :)

Thu, October 6, 2005 - 7:54 AM
      I attended a family reunion a few weeks ago and one of the hosts served shots of tequila whose flavor was absolutely amazing. Since I enjoy a good smooth tequila, I asked the brand, and he told me is was just a good quality gold tequila and he had opened the bottle a few days earlier and inserted several dried salted plums. The flavor was amazing! - no need for salt or lime for any of the guests who tried it, the perfect flavor was there! It was almost like a Tequila-flavored liqueur. Another host said he had forgotten a bottle in his bar and they "soaked" for about 5 years and apparently it gets better with age. The advice I got was for (7) of the salted dried plums in a 1.75 liter bottle, about 2 days before serving...and there's that issue of the tequila you pour out to get the plums in the bottle....well, it's never a "BAD" time for a Margarita, right?

Thu, October 6, 2005 - 9:45 AM
        no way! someone outside of Hawai'i knows about this trick?? Years ago, my pal Kimo hooked me up with a bottle of tequila (cuervo gold unfortunately) with 3 Ling Hi Mui in the bottom. Over the year it turned the liquor a lovely mahogany color. Seemed to taste to me like a super smooth laundry soap, so I'll stick to my plain primo agave tequila any day...BUT it is an interesting party favor and gets people rocked since it so deceptively smooth. And I agree no need for salt or lime, but perhaps a tippy-cup is in order ;)

BTW -- on the general topic, my favorite sushi bar starter is an ume (pickled plum paste) and shiso (beefsteak plant/perilla) roll with cucumber. mmm great tasting complexity as well as a digestive juice stimulant.

Fri, September 2, 2005 - 11:01 AM
    I'm sorry, but I hate those salted dried plums. Nas-ty. I don't like the mexican version either (which are pretty much the same thing, but they also have a variety which also has a buch of chile on it - some might love it). I'm all for salty snacks, but these are just plain yuck. Love the ume tho.

Fri, September 2, 2005 - 8:20 PM
    I've had those sweet salted SPICY and dried. they came in a little rectangular plastic box.

It makes your mouth vibrate! They weren't too spicy, just perfect. mmmmmm!!!

They are pretty intense and absolutely awesome.

My only advice is wait till you are too far from the store to go back before you open the box. :)

Thu, September 8, 2005 - 11:03 AM
    One of my favorite vietnamese drinks is a couple of sweet/salted plums with ice and sparkling water. You wait until the plums rehidrate some in the water and then mush them in. Yuuuuuummmm!!!!
    • Unsu...

Thu, September 8, 2005 - 8:14 PM
      Never even heard or thought of that but sounds yummy.

Fri, September 9, 2005 - 9:14 AM
        My grandmother and I put salted plum in our tea. When we're done drinking, we have a snack at the end...it also seems to cut out the saltiness a bit too.

Fri, October 7, 2005 - 8:31 PM
    I found some of these salted plums embedded in a hard candy shell.
    It's pretty good, the sweet caramel sugar flavor mixed with the salty sour plums is amazing. You can find these candies in any candy store in Chinatown.
  • D
    D
    offline 3

Thu, January 10, 2008 - 6:54 PM
    OK, so what are they called besides 'salted plums'? When I used to live in San Francisco most of the the people in my department were chinese, and they got me addicted - unfortunately, most of the Asian markets I've found since then usually don't have people there who speak much english, and I've got tired of trying to explain when i'ts obvious they don't get what I'm saying.
    • F
      F
      offline 0

Fri, February 8, 2008 - 1:26 PM
      You can find them on www.crackseedcenter.com. I think they are a brick & mortar store in Hawaii but sell their products online. It's the only on-line retailer I have been able to find that sells the salted plums. THey also have all different kinds of plums and other fruits too. Happy eating!

Mon, February 11, 2008 - 12:20 PM
    I grew up on those! My tongue and lips were swollen from all the salt and rubbing from the roughness. When I look at them now I am nostaglic, but don't really want to eat them now.

Wed, February 13, 2008 - 11:48 AM
    My sis and mom use to soak a few in a glass of water and sip on it. I didn't like it. But I love the plums and the powder that is on it. You can sprinkle the powder on fresh pineapples or oranges. Here in Hawaii they even make a margerita and dressing with it.

Wed, February 13, 2008 - 12:31 PM
      >>My sis and mom use to soak a few in a glass of water and sip on it. <<

Yup - a very common Vietnamese drink - you'll see it on drink menus.

Recent topics in "Asian Homestyle Cooking"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
Japanese Golden Curry! Unsubscribed 30 September 14, 2013
H People Meet Dating & Social Site for Singles and friends with H Unsubscribed 0 July 27, 2013
Impossible to find Japanese salad dressing recipe John 7 July 25, 2013